A great line!

Hemp!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hair

I miss my hair.  Mostly when I see beautiful women with thick, long, flowing hair.

This is really a waste of energy.  As I sit here with a bald head, the truth of the matter is that, prior to chemo, I had thin, short, notsoflowing hair.

I've been told that when the hair grows back, it can come in a different color and or texture. I'm going to put my order in to the high and mighty hair goddess...blonde, thick and stick straight please.  Actually, I'd like to have Marsha Brady's hair.  I always loved her hair as a young kid and I think that since I've had to go through this awful hell called "CANCER", I should get my hair wish.  Quick!  Everyone light a candle.

Many friends have said, "just wear a different wig every day".  Eh, I tried the wig thing.  Actually, prior to Christmas, I went to my local American Cancer Society office to pick out a free wig.  Isn't that cool???  They GIVE you a wig if you have TheBigC.  I went in, quite excited, and met the consultant.  Prita was from India and had her hair all tied back in a tight knot.  She was very pleasant and took her time with me as I went through just about every single wig in the house.  I tried every length, every color and every texture.  She was incredibly patient with me as I laughed my way through the piles of hair.  I had put one on that was cut above the ear on one side, stuck straight up in the back and was down to the shoulder on the other side.  She tried her best to keep a straight face, but ended up bursting out in laughter when I looked her square in the eye and said, "I think this is the one."  I ended up picking out a long black wig that had burgundy highlights.  As I left and was thanking her for being so kind, I said, "Merry Christmas!" and then realized that I made a major faux pas...she celebrated something else.  I grappled for the name of her holiday...Ramadan?  I wasn't sure and I didn't want to offend her, so I just bowed my head (very Asian of me) and shuffled my way out holding my new hair as the sweat started to bead up on my forehead.

I've not worn the wig once.  I tried, but to me, it's like it's part of a Halloween costume.  Wait, I did wear it on the way home, but ended up pulling it off while driving down the freeway.  The guy in the car next to me was sure to have had nightmares after that.

My facial hair has managed to miss the chemo hit.  Well, most of it.  I still have a few eyelashes, I still have my nose hair (that would have been weird), I still have the four hairs that hover over the corners of my mouth and I still have my eyebrows...except for one spot over my left eye.  I have an eyebrow bald spot.  I tried using brow wax to do a "comb over", but just ended up looking confused.

If you see me...please don't look at my bald spot.  I've got a little complex about it.
============================================================
*note:  for those that wanted to leave comments, I've updated my settings.  You should be good to go now :)

No comments: