A great line!

Hemp!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Club Chemo

I had my first visit to Club Chemo this morning.  The last time I was here, it was for a preview and I thought it was the most miserable place I could ever go.  I felt so sorry for the teenage girl that was curled up and asleep in her chair.  I felt sorry for the women without hair, wearing odd hats.  I felt sorry that the people were so sick.

Turned out that Club Chemo is THE place to be for a girl like me.  

Going in, I didn't have a clue as to what the protocol or procedure was.  I just knew that there would be lab work done, premeds and then the chemo.  I was told to bring my own snacks and beverages since their snack bin "sucked".  The nurse's words, not mine.  In actuality, the snack bin did suck.  It looked like people dumped all of their leftover Halloween candy in there and then someone tossed in a few plastic wrapped pastries.  I sat down, and waited for Sandra to prep all my stuff.  Got the lay of the land, and took a visitors chair for some of my baggage.  I don't think that I've packed this much for an overnight trip...and I was only going to be here for 5 hours or so.  Better to be prepared.

As Sandra did her thing, I powered down half a sleeve of saltine crackers.  Nerves=need to crunch.  I'm sure that it was impressive to watch, but nobody commented on my ability to eat this many dry crackers in such a short amount of time.  Polite group of folks.  

It was time to get into this port of mine.  I was really surprised that she was able to feel exactly where to put the syringe!  I've been feeling this thing daily trying to guess.  Sandra says, "A little blood!"  I panic and tell my body to quit bleeding.  Does anyone else do this?  Talk to your body?  Anyhow, this was a mistake on my part.  She was trying to draw blood OUT to do the lab work.  My body quit bleeding.  No blood for the labs.  Sandra has me take a big breath.  Then has me take a big breath with a slow exhale.  Tilted my head back.  Then tilted my head forward.  Raised my arm.  Nothing.  Was I going to have to stand on my head next?  Close.  I decided to go into one of my bags for a water.  This one was sitting on the floor.  As I'm leaning over and to the right digging, Sandra announces, "I GOT SOME BLOOD!  DON'T MOVE!"  Seriously?  Am I going to have to be here like this for the next 5 hours?  

No.  Once she got her vials of blood, she sent them off to the lab to see if I was clear to receive treatment.  It's like getting your Chemo Club clearance.  Sure enough, all was fine.  So the pre-meds start flowing and then after about an hour, the chemo was administered.  I'm thinking, "so, this is what it's like to get poisoned.  Not terrible."

After the first bag of chemo, I dozed off.  The next thing I knew, the second bag was empty and it was time to go home.  Sandra says, "You took a good nap."  All I could think of was that I must have been snoring something terrible.  Oh well.  Girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.  

Note to self:  Don't drink 4 cups of coffee prior to treatment.  Going to the potty is a pain in the arse with that IV coat rack.  However, they did have an ornament hanging from it, so at least I was a seasonal rack dragger.

I've been home for 4 hours now and don't feel awful.  I'm drinking lots of fluids and am waiting for it to hit.  It being the sick part.  I'm thinking that I'll be fine.  Just fine.


No comments: